Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Merry Christmas it was


A merry Christmas it was for our family! My kids and I started off by making cookies together, Jam Thumbprints and Black Forest Cookies. They are both very good in the kitchen but did not enjoy rolling all the cookies into balls. The end result was yummy!

It was requested that I make Baklava. Remembering how my Nana made it, making the phyllo dough from scratch, something I would never do. Making Baklava is a family tradition that I love to carry on. Only one of my sons eats it so I hope that he will continue the tradition.

We are fortunate that all our extended family lives in the same state, within a 90 minute drive. Christmas Eve was spent with my husband's family. The Swedish tradition is to exchange gifts on Christmas Eve. My kids always ask to open all their gifts then but I make them wait. We alternate opening gifts, youngest first. It is funny to see the bunch of us trying to remember who is older! It gets worse every year!!!

Christmas Morning is not an early one at our house. With teenagers in the house, morning wake ups are usually at a reasonable hour and there is time to take a shower and have a cup of coffee. There were a few surprise gifts for all - it gets harder every year. It was so much easier when a trip to Toys 'R Us would be all that was needed for my sons. Clothes, games, gadgets and books were the highlights this year. I was able to surprise my husband with a few things which is usually pretty hard to do. He has specific things he likes (triathlon related items) and most often I cannot pick them out on my own. But the tickets to see Fleetwood Mac and a new iPod Nano Chromatic were hits! I received a Cricut Expression which I cannot wait to use. My husband got creative with the tags, each one having a little story which was very sweet. It is the little things...

Christmas Day was spent with my side of the family. We had a Yankee Swap which is always a fun time! The gift that went around the most was a bunch of fuzzy socks that my 4 year old nephew desperately wanted for his 6 year old sister. It was very cute! He was not happy when his cousin took the socks but eventually he ended up with them. He is such a sweetie and really loves his sister.

Kids on both sides have changed so much this past year. My nephew Justin left for Marine boot camp before the holidays so we were missing him! Every year we feel the loss of loved ones who are no longer with us.

Now that Christmas is over it is time to look forward to the new year. 2009 will be a big year for us as a family. It is time to start looking at colleges something that I have a hard time grasping that my kids are that old already! Time flies!

Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Happy Birthday Bijou! You'll have to tell me where you got the squeaky indestructable toy...I could use it for Toby who does the exact same thing!