Friday, May 2, 2008

Book Club

I am part of a book club that I had a hand in starting at the company I work for. Our book group consists of engineers from various groups (Dev, Doc and QA). Since moving to Cambridge last summer we have done a lot more socializing both during and after work and the book club is an extension on that. It has helped draw us together in a way that we were not able to do in our old Waltham location. Being in Cambridge itself has been a huge improvement. It has energizing atmosphere with many great places to go for lunch, great parks and the farmer's market in the summer where you can listen to live music!

The book club meets once a month during lunch where we share snacks and desserts. We discuss the book with questions that our 'moderator' poses. We are now on our third month. Our book choices are based on suggestions that we then vote on. I have to say that the two we have read so far I would not have chosen on my own, not for any other reason but that I had not heard about them. The first choice was "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. Last month's book was "Dark Tide: The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919" by Stephen Puleo. I recommend both of these books. Being from Massachusetts and having been in the North End many times, where much of Dark Tide takes place, really brings the disaster home. Who knew molasses could be so devastating!

No comments: