Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Mom Interview

I asked my sons the following questions and was surprised (and a little dismayed) at their responses. My sons will be 16 years old (OMG where did the time go) in a few months. It is surprising sometimes to find out what they think and how well they know (or do not know) me.

Here are the questions and responses:

(1) What is something that mom always says to you?
M: ?
J: Clean (fill in the blank)

(2) What makes mom happy?
M: A clean house, good grades
J: Cleanliness
me - hmm... one would think that my house is spotless.

(3) What makes mom sad?
M: Low grades
J: Smart talk, dirty house, not listening

(4) How does mom make you laugh?
M: Attempting to sing songs
J: Funny jokes, "Put your dukes up"
me - J. and I have this little pretend boxing match thing where he thinks he can beat me.

(5) What was mom like as a child?
M: A devil
J: Supposedly an angel
me - While I was not completing angelic I was no where near being a devil. My older brothers took that honor.

(6) How old is your mom?
M: 42
J: 43
me - I suppose they could have said I was older. I was 43 at the time they were asked.

(7) How tall is your mom?
M: 5ft ?
J: 5' 3"

(8) What is her favorite thing to do?
M: Scrapbooking
J: Scrapbook or make cards
me - While I love to scrapbook I do not do it enough. Card making has taken over because it is something that I can do quickly.

(9) What does your mom do when you're not around?
M: ?
J: Scrapbook, make cards, watch movies
me - I have not watched a movie in a long time. Just ask Netflix how long I have had my 3 DVD's out.

(10) If your mom becomes famous, what will it be for?
M: Scrapbooking
J: Card making
me - while this is nice of them to say I seriously doubt it.

(11) What is your mom really good at?
M: Scrapbooking
J: Card making

(12) What is your mom not very good at?
M: Math
J: Math
me - they are both so right! I stink at math.

(13) What does your mom do for her job?
M: Evaluate bugs
J: Fix bugs, test programs, create programs
me - both are partially right. I am a QA engineer for a software company. I test software.

(14) What is your mom's favorite food?
M: ?
J: Baklava
me - while I love Baklava it is not my favorite food.

(15) What makes you proud of your mom?
M: Creativity
J: She never gives up

(16) If your mom were a cartoon character, who would she be?
M: Minnie Mouse
J: The caring mother
me - who is 'the caring mother'?

(17) What do you and your mom do together?
M: ?
J: Talk, help scrapbook

(18) How are you and your mom the same?
M: Creative
J: Stubborn, Care about a lot of stuff

(19) How are you and your mom different?
M: Different hobbies
J: I am very competitive

(20) How do you know your mom loves you?
M: I'm still in the house
J: She shows it, she really cares about what we do
me - I had to laugh at M's answer. You can tell he was not happy about doing this survey. I had them do it at a time when they wanted to play on the computer.

Ask your children these questions to see how they answer. Repeat it yearly to see how they change their perception and relationship with their mother. It will be very telling as my first attempt has been.

No comments: